Jose Ortega Elementary School is one of San Francisco’s best-kept secrets. Our talented, energetic teachers use activity-based instruction to challenge students to reach high academic standards in literacy, math, and science. We integrate the arts, English language development, technology, and science into each classroom’s core curriculum.
José Ortega Elementary School (JOES), a school community with a culturally diverse population, providing a rich, stimulating educational experience that challenges all students to reach their full potential.
- Robust science curriculum featuring weekly hands-on experiments
- Reading and Writing Workshop programs with an on-site literacy coach
- Artist-in-residence leads a school-wide arts program
- Curriculum-linked field trips
- Culturally diverse student population
- Computers in every classroom
- Student Leadership / Student Council Program
- Green Team recycling club
- Traveling kickball program and cheerleading
- Nutrition and physical education program
- Active parent community supporting our children
Principal: Mr. Ben Klaus
Grades: PreK through 5th
Contact: Phone: (415) 469-4726; Fax: (415) 584-7972; E-mail:email@example.com
Tours: An appointment is necessary, please call the office so we can arrange a parent tour guide to show you the school. Also, please let us know if a translator is required.
View Larger Map
Address: 400 Sargent Street (zip: 94132) in the Ocean View/Merced Heights/Ingleside (OMI) neighborhood. Convenient to I-280 and Junipero Serra Blvd, the Muni 29-line at Head St., and the Muni M-line at Arch Street.
Hours: 7:50 a.m. to 1:50 p.m.
Dress Code: Navy Blue Sweaters, Navy Blue Pants (No Jeans), Navy Blue Jumpers, Navy/Light Blue/White Polos or Blouses, and White or Blue Socks.
Transportation: SFUSD buses available inside assignment area.
After School Program: On site after school program run by Stonestown YMCA for grades K through 5.
2016-17 Enrollment: 412
Our School Song:
It’s Jose Ortega on the hill we love,
The ocean to the west and the sky above.
Learning together, working hard to be
A caring community for you and me.
Here at Ortega each of us can be
The greatest student you will ever see.
Our teachers will help us and our friends will, too.
Be a friend to me, I’ll be a friend to you.